CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

90% is better than 100%

I have really been struggling recently with money, but who isn't?! I have been very selfish at times and have wanted to spend it how I think we should spend it. In fact, while putting together our budget, I left tithing for last. If we had any money left over, we would give it to the church. This would be after all our bills were paid and some spent on personal items. Some Sundays we didn't give anything because of poor planning. I'm definitely not proud of this, but it's a very real issue in our lives.

Over the past few weeks, the sermon series at our church (canvaschurch.net) entitled "Mine, All Mine" has really convicted me. The sermon on "My Money" really hit home. Instead of putting God first and giving to Him first, we were actually giving to him LAST! How selfish is that?! So, with our last paycheck, we put our trust in God and gave our 10% as our first expenditure instead of our last.

Luke 6:30 says, "Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I am already starting to see this good measure in our lives. On a good week at work, I have been getting about 18-20 patients (I get paid by the patient). By the end of the week it's looking like I will have seen 30 patients this week. Praise God! I want to encourage each of you to put your trust in the Lord and He will prevail!

5 comments:

Jesse Wickstrum said...

Money is the worst invention ever. Don't feel bad for it. The way its importance has been ground into us brings out the worst in people.

Maggie Michael said...

He is my deliverer! I don't know why we don't put all our trust in Him. He has never failed me.
Silly us!

Abbey said...

Amen to that Sarah. God has always always always provided for us. It is amazing to see His hand at work. We have been down to our last $50, and an unexpected check would appear. God is good all the time.

Lacey said...

I love this post and the comments. And I am so glad that you and Erik are growing in God together and even facing the issues now. I think it took Kevin and I years to face the tithing issue - and it was never about money anyway, was it? IT was always about selfishness and trust. I'm proud of you guys -- and convicted by you as well. Thanks! (And I like your comments too Wickstrum girls and boys - how right!)

Nadia said...

So true! I tithe every week, granted I do it some weeks not so cheerfully, but God really comes through. It seems like I'm down to the wire on bills and whatnot but something always works out. It can be a little stressful but what a lesson on trust and faith!